arthurb wrote:

> I have been staggering, or perhaps blundering on, and have, probably,
> set up Custom Scan to return ALBUMARTIST, COMPOSER and CONDUCTOR (I am
> using FLAC files only).  Then I have set up some menus with Custom
> Browse so that I can view the following:  Composer --> Genre --> Album
> --> Album Artist.  All of my classical files are tagged with the Album
> as the Work (e.g. Piano Concerto No 5), and Album Artist as the basic
> description of all the main protagonists (e.g. Barenboim - Klemperer -
> New Philharmonia Orch.).
>
> I did this by setting up a menu that I called 'Classical by Composer'
> which should have four levels.  That is: on the 'menu parameters' panel
> I have defined 'Level 1 Tag Name' as COMPOSER, 'Level 2 Tag Name' as
> GENRE, 'Level 3 Tag Name' as ALBUM, and lastly 'Level 4 Tag Name' as
> ALBUMARTIST.  This does roughly work, allowing me to step down through
> the layers as defined in paragraph 2, above, and this is a great
> improvement on my earlier efforts (I have removed some scans amongst
> other things).
>
> However, I have a problem: I have duplicate entries in the 1st and 4th
> layers.  That is to say: each composers name is repeated and also works
> to direct me to a lower level, and the performers (i.e. Album Artists)
> names are also repeated although each does give the correct track list
> (i.e. song titles); Genre and Album seem to work OK except for one other
> issue which can wait for now. Does anyone know what is happening here?

The reason you get duplicate entries for COMPOSER is probably because
it's scanned both by Custom Tag and Mixed Tag scanning module. If you
are happy with the way LMS standard scanning scans for composers, keep
it in Mixed Tag scanning module settings in the "Composer tags" field.
If you want the Custom Scan scanning, keep it in the "Tags to Scan"
field on Custom Tag scanning module settings. You need to perform a
rescan with both Custom Tag and Mixed Tag scanning module for the
changes to take effect.

arthurb wrote:

> However the other issue remains: at level 3, using the Album Tag, I get
> an entry for each of the lower level entries. That is to say: I may have
> two versions of Brahms Violin Concerto, by say Bloggs and the XPO and
> Smith and the YPO, but that causes two entries in level 3 saying 'Violin
> Concerto'.  I know they are identical because they are put into the same
> folder when I use dBpoweramp's Arrange Audio function, and in any case I
> have just checked. Is there a bug here or have I just missed another
> option I should add/delete/alter?

Hopefully this is also caused by the same problem as above.
Generally you should either mention a tag in the Custom Tag scanning
module or the Mixed Tag scanning module but not in both.

arthurb wrote:

> It would appear that these plugins are very unstable, and from the lack
> of responses I assume hardly anyone uses them, which would seem
> understandable.  What is infuriating is that there is basically very
> good stuff here that I think many, many people would find useful if only
> it was stable and easy to set up.

They are technical and was intended as a temporary solution until
Logitech implemented the real thing, unfortunately Logitech never
prioritized it and even though I try to do as much as possible the time
is limited when you also have to handle day job, family, ickStream and
other things. I know they are technical and confusing and hard to setup,
the advantage is that you can do pretty much whatever you want when you
understand them but the disadvantage is that it can be a bit challenging
in the beginning until you start to understand how it works.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))

*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.