Thanks bpa, and here's my answers to your questions.

Yes, the Mac mini is running LMS, and it’s connected by ethernet to my
router.

The audio format of the file-based music I play from iTunes is Apple
Lossless.

My two Classic players are connected wirelessly. I’ve never connected
them wired and I’m not sure I have the capability: I think their
situation would make this tricky.

I will test the stream you supplied and report back.

In the meantime, if anyone could help prod me in the right direction of
how to check CPU and network perf stats on a Mac, I'd be grateful.