Well, some interesting behaviour this evening.

First, around 6:30pm, I started Bob Harris On Sunday, R2, BBCiPlayer.
Stopped dead after about 6 minutes. Immediately restarted it, from the
beginning: stopped dead about 8 minutes in. Not rebuffering: just a dead
stop.

Went to BBCiPlayer Extras and started the same show. Ran absolutely fine
for 45 minutes or so, until I stopped it myself.

About 7:15pm, started Jazz Lineup, R3, on BBC iPlayer. Ran perfectly,
for 45 minutes or so until I stopped it myself.

About 8:00pm, started Clare Teal, R2, on BBCiPlayer. After 15 minutes or
so, it stopped dead. Again, no rebuffering, just a sudden halt.

For what it's worth ...