when used with streaming services (that is: with music outside my own
library), SmartMix has a tendency to drift more and more towards
mainstream over time so that whatever I start with, in the long run I
end up with mixes that have very little genre variety (not within the
mix but between different mixes).

Interesting. I think I would confirm the tendency to lock down on a certain genre. But I wouldn't limit it to mainstream. In my case I often end up in the 70/80s Rock/Jazz Fusion (or whatever one would call it).

I assume this is due to TEN's algorithms which probably prefer songs
that get played more often but is there maybe a way to counter it? If I
start in a specialized Genre I would like to stay there and not drift
into something else.

A lot of the mixing behaviour is configurable (see eg. http://developer.echonest.com/docs/v4/standard.html#static). The plugin starts "don't stop the music" mixes with distribution:wandering and variety:0.8. Did you ever try to the "Variety" option from the SmartMix menu? "adventurousness" defaults to 0.2 - which might be rather mainstream indeed. With that menu you can change it to 0.05 (the coward's choice!), 0.6 or 1. Please give it a try and let me know if this would improve your mixes. I might add some adventurousness by default.

One item on my ever growing to do list for this plugin is "allow tweaking default parameters for mixes". It has been sitting there for too long already...

--

Michael