I'm sorry if what I wrote came over too harshly. I certainly don't want
anyone else "to do my job for me". However, this is not about finding a
solution for my particular problem/installation, but about making a
generalized version of that available to community at large. Also, I
didn't want to suggest that the included patch was by any means a
perfect implementation that could not be improved or even should be
included as-is.

I'm totally open to suggestions how to add such a feature for Synology
users (either the disabling of MySB integration or the generalized one
of adding command line options to the start/stop script) in a way that
benefits the community as whole. Martin's idea was to write a plugin. If
I were to propose a patch or pull request to slimserver.pl that changed
the constant NOMYSB to some callback or variable (to be able to be
overridden by a plugin), I'm pretty sure you would reject it, no?

Reinventing the wheel and providing a second set of update packages is
not a solution for anyone: It would be confusing for users, provide a
lot of work for me and probably some misdirected support questions for
Martin. (I've since contacted Synology with a feature suggestion for
their LMS package, but knowing their support, I doubt it will reach an
actual developer anytime soon.)