I'm totally open to suggestions how to add such a feature for Synology
users (either the disabling of MySB integration or the generalized one
of adding command line options to the start/stop script) in a way that
benefits the community as whole. Martin's idea was to write a plugin. If
I were to propose a patch or pull request to slimserver.pl that changed
the constant NOMYSB to some callback or variable (to be able to be
overridden by a plugin), I'm pretty sure you would reject it, no?

Can't say. If your patch was looking great, why not include it?

There are two reasons why I haven't done this myself (yes, I considered a pref to disable mysb.com integration):

- users tend to fiddle with settings without understanding them. They have disabled stuff they were missing soon after.

- There's not much reason to use this configuration already. It's rather exotic. And most users wishing such an exotic setup can easily get there. From my PoV it's really something I put in there to test and be prepared for the day when we no longer _need_ mysb.com integration, because it will be gone.

Actually, I got a third reason. Rather technical and probably even more esoteric:

- using a constant the excluded code would not even be compiled by Perl at startup time. Using a variable that's not the case. Using the constant saves you a few CPU cycles and some bytes.

> Sidenote: The answer to that is "maybe". The shell script is certainly
> not the problem, but updating Synology packages from the command line is
> not documented anywhere and the synopkg utility - unlike the other syno*
> CLI tools - does not provide any helpful feedback at all. It looks like
> they don't want people to interact with packages from the command line.

Ok, I feared this might be the case.

--

Michael