In that case, there should at least be a comment in the start-up scripts
provided. :-)   As root, it's usually a limit that you can easily
override and that would be done best in the startup script.  Also, the
documentation
doesn't discuss the limit/file descriptor constraints really -- you sort
of have to poke around to find out about system-specific parameters like
that.

I'm not complaining bitterly or anything drastic like that -- just
suggesting what would make life easier for
users who encounter a situation like this!

Finally, I'm still confused -- Do I understand that policyd will allow
as many as 4096 instances/file descriptors unless MAXFDS isn't defined,
which in turn is dependent on what limit/ulimit shows at the time the
binaries are compiled?