I would blame policyd's compilation for allowing more potential
file descriptors than most shells will by default -- unless it provided
extra code to warn users to make sure the file descriptor limit is first
raised.  As mentioned before, it doesn't seem a good practice to so
readily make it possible for the number of smtpd connections exceed the
number of policyd conenctions.

I will say that running such a high number of conenctions is probably
pretty unusual, but as we see here, not out of the question.