In /usr/include/bits/typesize.h on Linux boxes, __FD_SETSIZE is also
defined.  It seems to apear in several files.  I'm not sure where
changing is needed to make it work, and if a kernel recompile is also
needed, since it's a low-level part of the OS.  I'm also
not usre if the hugemem kernel offers any increased sizes here, as well.
I've seen others recommend using poll() instead of select() but that
would, I believe, create all sorts of portability and other issues.

In any case, here's a reference to one user's workaround -- no
guarantees, of course:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2004-02/2490.html

This was based on looking at some source code from "squid".

Under Solaris 8, I think you can change this by altering the
/usr/include/sys/select.h file and changing it in there.

I didn't spend a huge time investigating, but would be happy to
research this further if you wish.

--Tobias