On 9 June 2014 22:08, Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr>
wrote:

> > Supporting PAC by polipo would ease the forwarding.
>
> It's been a while since I looked at it, but if memory servers the
> "proxy.pac" file is written in Javascript.  This makes sense for a web
> browser, which already has a JS interpreter, but not for a proxy, which
> doesn't need (or want) to be linked with one.

Yes, pac is javascript with some special functions available for dissecting
the request url. The idea of using it within a proxy as the upstream proxy
selection mechanism is interesting, but I agree it's not worth the
complexity. I've also seen some pretty nasty proxy.pac abuse, with 100's of
lines of js for IMHO no good reason. Using js just invites such abuse.

I'd much rather see some sort of generic regex url matching together with
support for applying these for selecting parent proxies, caching policy
settings, and whatever else you might want to vary per url. Something
similar, but less overkill complex, to squid's acl approach.

--
Donovan Baarda <a...@minkirri.apana.org.au>