Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Our idea is that layer 3 provides multiple default routes to the higher
> layers, and we're pretty much agnostic about whether the layer performing
> route selection is the transport layer (MP-TCP) or the application layer.
> I was thinking about hacking either mosh[1] or Transmission[2] to deal
> with multiple source addresses, funnily enough it never occurred to me to
> do the work in Polipo.
>
> [1] http://mosh.mit.edu/
> [2] https://www.transmissionbt.com/

I'm not sure why you need to hack mosh to be able to use it through
different ISP. If you can select by destination you could create iptable
rules. Maybe I don't get the point of your project in detail.

>> Usually I do all that advanced Multi-ISP routing using Shoreline Firewall
>
> I'd be interested in more details.

Mainly http://www.shorewall.net/MultiISP.html covers the MultiISP topic.
My current solution is using tcrules like this, while mark 2 is the
alternative ISP beside the main ISP. Forwarding imap via ISP 2:

2 $FW 0.0.0.0/0 tcp,udp imap,imaps

Or forwarding smtp via ISP 2 if not requesting some local mail server:

2 $FW !192.168.1.30 tcp,udp smtp,smtps

Now you can also have rules host specific:

2 $FW 207.223.240.181,207.223.240.182 tcp https

If link 2 is available, that will be used, otherwise the default link. This
is useful for mobile hosts switching to very different network
ennvironments.

BR,
Massimo