On 9 Jul 2014, at 14:00, Richard Z <r...@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 04:12:02PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>
>> Concerning the proxy.pac file:
>>
>>> function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
>>>  return "PROXY 127.0.0.1:8123";
>>> }
>>
>> Perhaps you could tweak that to only use the proxy when the scheme is
>> http?  Going direct for http*s* avoids an extra copy of the data, which
>> might be significant on a small device.
>
> on the other hand you could also use polipo to block certain https
> connections which might be a much larger win performance wise and
> improves privacy if done right (many webbugs nowadays use SSL)

Yes. If the point is to chain polipo to Tor then the proxy.pac above would be
valid. I have changed the default to avoid HTTPs and leave it up to the user to
change it in case they want to chain to Tor.

Mobile platforms these days are actually pretty wealthy on resources, going up
to GBs of RAM [1, 2] so I don’t think it would be an issue. I think the gains
are enormous when it comes to saving up on carrier data plans though.

You are right about web-bugs, spam too… SSL is being abused a lot recently to
deliver advertisements “securely” with only browser-level filtering (except for
using squid’s SSL intercept which does not really work all that well). SSL is
one more technology that is being exploited to force-feed users spam. Many
websites just dropped HTTP completely and deliver everything forcefully through
HTTPs (Google is an example), all wrapped up in a bedtime story on “how much we
care about your privacy”.

[1] Ipad 3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_3
[2] Samsung Galaxy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_galaxy

Eva