I'm still looking for the names of *ten* specific members of the oil lobby who
are agitating for an American attack on Iran -- to help balance slightly the
names of hundreds of neoconservatives and members of the Israel lobby who have
been doing so.

How I read this story: weak talking points, delivered weakly and without
conviction, designed by the same cabal of neoconservatives who have controlled
Bush 43 policy since 2000 and who have fabricated an endless series of lies.
I'll bet these talking points came out of Dick Cheney's office, and were
developed by Eric Edelman and other neocons who have surrounded Cheney from
every side in recent years and spoonfed him his every sentence and phrase.

There is absolutely nothing the Bush 43 can do now to fix the damage to
American energy interests that was "achieved" by the Iraq War -- damned if we
leave, but even more damned if we stay.  If we had simply bought the oil from
Saddam on the open market, we would have been much better off.  The money that
was poured down the drain in the Iraq War should have gone into alternative
energy research.

Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Hmmm. Nine bucks a gallon? Enough to crash the dollar and the
 U.S. economy. Badly. Probably unrecoverably.

 Can anyone see motive, here?

 Are Porter, Petraeus, Crocker, al-Hashimi, Saleh, and all the rest,
 hopelessly in the thrall of Zionist propaganda and LYING about this
 to scare us? Possible. But I'll bet not.

 Alan

 http://www.lvrj.com/news/9466252.html

 Aug. 30, 2007
 Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

 CLARIFICATION - 09/01/07 -- A headline in Thursday's Review-Journal
 attributed to Rep. Jon Porter, R-Nev., a suggestion that a premature
 withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq could result in the rise in the
 price of gasoline to $9 a gallon. In fact, Porter merely was
 relaying such a suggestion, which originated with officials with
 whom he spoke during his recent trip to Iraq.

 Porter ties U.S. withdrawal from Iraq to $9 gasoline

 Lawmaker reports on his trip to country

 By TONY BATT
 STEPHENS WASHINGTON BUREAU

 WASHINGTON -- Gasoline prices could rise to about $9 per gallon if
 the United States withdraws troops from Iraq prematurely, Rep. Jon
 Porter said he was told on a trip to Iraq that ended this week.

 The Nevada Republican, who returned Tuesday from his fourth trip to
 Iraq, met with U.S. Army Gen. David Petraeus, U.S. Ambassador Ryan
 Crocker, Iraqi Deputy President Tariq al-Hashimi and Iraqi Deputy
 Prime Minister Barham Saleh.

 "To a person, they said there would be genocide, gas prices in the
 U.S. would rise to eight or nine dollars a gallon, al-Qaida would
 continue its expansion, and Iran would take over that portion of the
 world if we leave," Porter said Wednesday in a phone interview from
 Las Vegas.

 Porter did not elaborate on the assessment that gasoline prices
 could spike. His spokesman, Matt Leffingwell, said afterward that
 the scenario "makes sense if Iran moves into Iraq."

 Porter "can't speculate directly on what is going to happen with gas
 prices, but the market prices for oil reflect the stability in that
 region," Leffingwell said.

 Petraeus and Crocker offered a "blunt" assessment of the situation,
 Porter said.

 Although Petraeus did not discuss the much anticipated Iraq status
 report he plans to release in September, Porter said the general
 told him the U.S. troop surge was working.

 But Porter stopped short of saying he would support Petraeus' report.

 "This was not unlike my trip there in January. I saw a lot of
 successes, and I noticed substantial improvement in Baghdad," said
 Porter, who has traveled to Iraq three times in the past 18 months.

 As lawmakers warm up for a renewal of the Iraq war debate in the
 fall, Porter accused Democrats of failing to offer solutions to the
 war and avoiding a debate on the ramifications of withdrawal.

 He said that some Democratic organizations, including the
 Searchlight Leadership Fund operated by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev.,
 have funded anti-war groups. The Searchlight Leadership Fund made
 $5,000 donations to VoteVets.Org in 2006 and again earlier this
 year, according to federal records.

 "They're entitled to their opinion, but they ought to be honest with
 Nevadans about where they're getting their money," Porter said of
 the anti-war organizations.

 Reid spokesman Jon Summers said Porter is not "fully up to speed"
 with the Senate's actions on Iraq.

 "Democrats have put forward a number of solutions to change course
 in Iraq, but Republican obstructionists continue to throw up
 roadblocks," Summers said. As for Democrats funding anti-war
 groups, "did (Porter) happen to mention the Republican organizations
 that are funding pro-war groups?"

 Democrats claim that organizations defending President Bush's war
 strategy, such as Vets for Freedom or the newly formed Freedom's
 Watch, are fronts linked to the Bush administration whose aim is to
 attack Democrats and boost GOP fortunes in Congress.

 Reps. Ellen Tauscher, D-Calif., and Jim Moran, D-Va., joined Porter
 on the taxpayer-funded trip, which began Aug. 23 and included stops
 in Kuwait and Baghdad.