Who cares who they got their cost estimates from? When the government
decides to do something like the Big Dig, they are, for all intents
and purposes, the general contractor and, as such, have responsibility
for costs AND cost over runs. If you were an owner who had a project
being built for you and your general contractor came to you and said
that the project was going to cost you five times what he quoted you,
what would you say?

What government agencies would you characterize as efficient? The DOE?
Not even close. For all of the billions they have spent and MISPLACED,
they have had little or no positive effect on outcome. Government
bureaucracies are a malignant cancer and WILL kill us if they aren't
stopped.