"There are rules of engagement I have to follow," he told Jimmy, with a
sneer.  "Rules that I bent when I told you to leave.  And if it weren't for
one of those rules, I would have handed you your lungs by now.  As for
justice, I don't call 'em, I just catch 'em.  The rest is left to the
Fates."

"There are rules of blah blah blah" Jimmy mimmiced him "Take a chill pill
already, I was just asking.  And considering you guard all those souls I
would think you should have a hand in knowing if they're truly guilty or
not."

Julia put her empty hand on Jimmy's shoulder, giving both him and the
Soulchaser a warning but calm look and getting them back on track, at the
same time drawing Nick's hand closer and settling it against her stomach as
she talked "Fates.. the sisters?  I guess that's our next move then.
Finding how to contact them."

"Contact who?" Derek opened the door suddenly, looking at the four and doing
a double take toward the one sitting across from everyone as he recognized
him from security tapes and Nick's report from the last time he had been
visiting "We all woke up in de Twilight Zone right?"

Then he looked at Julia and Nick, his expression clear.  Explain.

"Soulchaser," Julia cut to the chase and nodded at each as she made the
introductions "And Jimmy Boyle.  I guess this is a sign we need to talk."

Then she noticed Derek's attention and added "Yeah.. we definitely need to
talk."

She stood and looked at Jimmy and the Soulchaser "No fighting." Then turned
to Nick, leaning down to kiss him and wink before doing what she always
loved to do and run the pad of her thumb along that adorable dimple in his
chin "I'll be in the Control Room."

With that and a final warning glance at the two antagonizers she
straightened and left with Derek.

By the time they reached the Control Room she was blinking in surprise and
realizing why Derek had looked like he had swallowed a live trout whole.

It felt good to get it all off of his chest and he did feel better for it,
Derek thought as they stopped just outside the secured area, even if he
still felt a kind of panic at the realization that there was a chance Cass
couldn't be found.

"Did you tell Alex what you just told me?" Julia asked curiously, making her
look at him with a measure of confusion.

The scanner started reading over his retinal "No." he answered, as if that
were the obvious answer.

Julia rolled her eyes "Remind me to hit you with a common sense stick,
Derek." She mumbled as the laser then turned to hers and followed the same
proceedure.

"Why?" he asked, at a loss "I'm not going to list my affairs for her.  I
mean it's not like I had a track record but still... it's Alex."

"Exactly." Julia shook her head once the computer cleared them to enter
"You're not supposed to shut the person you care about out, Mister Typical
Male."

Derek blinked and watched her enter.  Only to open his mouth, follow her in
and then snap it shut.  He wouldn't want to know how many people he had
slept with if he were a woman, he thought, thinking women were a peculiar
bunch of people.

"I'll never understand you." he whispered to himself as Julia sat at the
console, refering to the female gender as a whole  "I wonder how Nick does
it."

Reply via email to