On 2022/01/21 11:42, joshua stein wrote:
> I personally tend to ignore most ports@ emails that aren't diffs I
> can easily view in my e-mail client because it's a hassle to save
> the attachment, tar -t it to see what its directory structure is,
> untar it in the proper place, try to build it, then provide feedback
> by copying parts of the Makefile to an e-mail or doing some other
> work to produce a diff.

this helps a lot:

$ grep vim .mailcap
application/x-tar;      vim '%s'
application/x-xz;      vim '%s'
application/x-tar-gz;   vim '%s'
application/x-gzip;   vim '%s'
application/gzip;   vim '%s'
application/x-gunzip;   vim '%s'
application/x-gtar;   vim '%s'
application/x-xz;   vim '%s'
application/x-gtar-compressed;  vim '%s'
application/x-compressed-tar;   vim '%s'
application/octet-stream; vim '%s'

> Maybe we can do something radical like enable GitHub pull requests
> to let people submit changes against the ports repo on GitHub, do
> review and feedback on those on GitHub, and once it's been approved
> by a developer, that developer can do the final legwork of
> committing it to CVS and closing the pull request (since we can't
> commit directly to the Git repo).

No way. Way too much burden for regular ports committers. This takes
the existing work, adds a bunch of extra steps required, and encourage
submissions from people that aren't keeping on top of how OpenBSD works
which are likely to add even more work for us.