On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 01:49:26PM +0000, Yifei Zhan wrote:
> On 22/01/22 02:30AM, Marc Espie wrote:
> > >
> > > There's https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/ ; it's wide open for
> > > suggestions and improvements including possibly large-scale rewriting...
> > > Feel free to send a diff for it to ports@.
> > >

> > Any kind of pointers (including diffs to manpages or whatever) that
> > would make it easier for newcomers to find that
> > would be a great addition to the system.
> >
> > Especially from "newer" people who have been figuring it out.
> >
> > Us old-timers have about ZERO idea what's actually needed.
> >

> Some ideas:
>
> - How to find LIBDEP:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=164089356505525&w=2

There's some supplementary work I need to do in port-lib-depends,
namely interface it with the pkglocatedb so that missing dependencies can
be located more easily.

Also, yeah, that code is rather hard to read, I know.

> - A simple CVS quick start guide would be nice, I spent way too long
> to learn it and I'm still not totally sure how it works. (e.g. how to
> generate a diff properly/how to apply an inline patch/how to handle
> new directory...etc)

It's a complete pain in the ass in any case.

> yes there are countless guides alrealy on the internet, but most of
> them are confusing and not really suitable for OpenBSD's workflow.
>
> and since we are here, what's your workflow of testing/generating
> diff? often I would corrupt my ports tree while testing/generating
> diff and have to check out a fresh copy)
>
> - Make it more clear that git generated diff is acceptable

Yeah, that's a really good point.

> At the moment it's hidden in a page named 'Building the System from
> Source', not very clear. Maybe put in on porter's handbook?
>
> - Some kind of automated pre-submission sanity test would be nice.
> Should be simpler than a full CI setup. (is my diff mangled? is my
> tree outdated?)

You got portcheck for that one. It does validate new ports and ports
after diff.

Notice that https://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html
contains a Porter's handbook and a Port Testing guide.

If those are not apparent enough, diffs are welcome.

If things are missing in there, again, diffs are welcome.