On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:03:13PM -0600, macintoshzoom wrote:

> It seems that it's Ok, I confused (konqueror lied me) soft and hard
> linked files, (which I ignored the existence till today, nor I
> understand yet why those hard links are useful).

Any file is linked to a directory entry by a hard link. A file can
have more than one hard link from several directory entries.

If a file has zero hard links and no program has it open, it will be
deleted.

> # cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/cdrom
> # ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> 890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> # cd /usr/ports/packages/i386/all
> # ls -i kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> 890218 kde-i18n-nl-3.5.9.tgz
> #
>
> So both have the same inode # 890218 (it's like that?), so I am
> understanding that they are the same file, not twice space used on my
> hard drive.
>
> I am right?

yes. The whole point is that you can have a single file appearing in
multiple places in the directory hierarchy, without wasting space.

        -Otto