On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 08:47:05AM -0700, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> Excerpts from Alexandre Ratchov's message of Sun Aug 15 22:55:25 -0700 2010:
> > On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:12:54PM -0700, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Ryan Freeman's message of Sat May 02 02:42:32 -0700 2009:

> > > bump! just thought i'd revisit this and inform that i still use this
> > > port after over a year and through all snapshots, its only become
> > > better. present day sees quake3 running smooth as silk on my t41p,
> > > next to no sound issues (aucat -l -v 103 -b 1024 -z 512) and
> > > i regularly use it to play the urban terror mod. i will reattach
> > > for convenience sake, any additional comments at this time?
> > >

> > out of curiousity are you using a MP kernel? It seems that
> > sound issues tend to occur mostly on MP machines.
> >
> > -- Alexandre
>
> unfortunately no my t41p just uses a good old fashioned single core
> intel pentium m processor. i'm really going to have to make a point
> to try and aquire an mp-capable machine to test all the ports i
> have going on. But, then again, ideally i'd have one of everything
> we support ;) does renice(8)ing the process of ioquake3 cause the
> issue to get any better or worse on mp?

I see no reason for renice(8) to solve the mp problem.
AFAIU, it's related to interrupts rather than process
scheduling; so changing the scheduling priority is unlikely
to help.

> the only reason i ask is for playing urban terror i ended up doing
> the following (granted i gave myself passwordless sudo access to
> renice, as this workstation is only used by me):
>
> $ cat ~/bin/urbanterror
> sleep 3 && sudo renice -n -5 `pgrep -x ioquake3` &
> ioquake3 +set fs_game q3ut4 +com_hunkmegs 256 +com_zonemegs 64 $@
>
> ^i found this to reduce issues with the mod getting fps bombs
> during play every now and then, but sound is more or less never
> and issue.
>
> where renice(8) really did seem to make a difference (but not perfect)
> was my fceux port. everything 'works' video blit is fast but sound
> is rather choppy. i renice that process in the same fashion and it
> squashed most of the blips bloops and bleeps (well, the unintended ones,
> i realize nes sound is mostly just that ;D)
>
> i definitely didn't see too much issue renicing those processes, as
> the only people that should be using these game ports should be those
> using workstation-only type setups where there are no other users to
> suffer from some jerk running a dri-based game. the game port guy here
> will come and strike you with a heavy object for such a thing! keep
> those production boxes clean of this crap! ;D
> cheers,

well, renice(8) may help in some cases and hurt in other
cases. It depends on the program works.

Renicing a I/O bound process producing audio should slightly
prevent other processes from stealing the CPU when it wakes
up to produce audio data. On the other hand renicing a cpu
bound process would hurt other processes in the audio chain
(eg. aucat).

Processes using user threads with one ``real time'' i/o
bound thread and one ``low priority'' gui thread are
unlikely to be much more stable if reniced.

Anyway, stuttering is more likely to be fixed by improving
the code (of the whole audio chain: program -> kernel ->
driver). Renicing mostly hides problems in the code, but
that's all we have for the mid-term.

-- Alexandre