Landry Breuil <lan...@rhaalovely.net> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 09:07:46AM -0600, attila wrote:
>>
>> attila <att...@stalphonsos.com> writes:

>> > Re*ping.  I know some people have been using the packages we put up
>> > for testing purposes.  I also know this is potentially sort of a
>> > controversial (set of) port(s) and that everyone is busy but if anyone
>> > could be troubled to take a look and give some feedback that would
>> > be great.
>> >
>> > Attaching the latest version of the ports for completeness.
>> >
>> > Pax, -A
>>
>> Ping.
>
> I had a quick look a while ago at the Makefile. I would *really* prefer
> you to shrink it by reusing www/mozilla MODULE, provided you work out
> the correct changes that would be needed for tbb without breaking the
> other users of the module. Instead of copy-pasting-cargo-culting what's
> in the module...

I would be thrilled to do this, esp. since I already follow along
w/mozilla.port.mk changes anyway.  Will get on it.

> Is the .mozconfig hackery really needed ?

This was to get around an early hurdle; it might be that it isn't
necessary any more or that I can find a better way - will investigate.

> The @exec lines in the PLIST should go at the bottom.

Okay.

> I think you dont need files/firefox.desktop, and do you really need
> files/profiles.ini ?

The former you're right, it's not needed.  The latter, sadly, is
really needed to make sure a user's ~/.tor-browser has the shape
required to initialize it properly.  It is very small and it could
just be sucked into the start-tor-browser sh script instead if that's
preferable.

> Have you tried leaving the .xpi files compressed in their respective
> dirs at runtime (eventually unzipping/patching/rezipping) as you comment
> in Makefile.inc line 68 ? Iirc this should also work and is 'nicer' to
> the filesystem..

I tried many variations of this a few months ago and none of them
worked but I will revisit it.

> I'm still not a fan of having this in-tree, but i'd like opinions from
> other porters & tor users (users, not fanboys please) here - especially
> pascal since he's the tor maintainer :)

Yes, I would also like to hear from others who are using it since I
know they're out there.  If this really isn't something a lot of
people want then I'd like to know that, if only for personal reasons.

> Landry

Thanks a lot for your critique.

Above and beyond what you point out, there's an issue I was hoping to
get feedback on: should noscript and https-everywhere be packaged
separatedly somehow or stay combined into tbb?  My rationale for doing
it the latter way was:

1. If you install TBB under linux you get noscript+httpse, so it's
   expected;
2. I didn't really see a lot of other XPIs in ports (maybe I missed
   some).  I modeled my packaging mostly on mail/enigmail;
3. If I were to split noscript and https-everywhere out into their own
   ports there is an issue (the way I've done it) as to where they
   install themselves in the filesystem.  Tor Browser wants them under
   e.g. /usr/local/lib/tor-browser-5.0.3/distribution/extensions but
   e.g. Firefox would want them somewhere else.  This could be
   accounted for in the packaging in various ways, but I wasn't sure
   what the best one was (multi-packages I guess?) and it wasn't clear
   they would be wanted anyway;
4. Of course, each release of Tor Browser wants specific releases of
   noscript+httpse which are sometimes not the most recent ones.

The three things that must for sure go together are tor-browser,
torbutton and tor-launcher.  The other two I did the way I did to make
progress, but if there are opinions I'd love to hear them.  I'd be
happy to maintain noscript+httpse ports separately if there is
interest.

Pax, -A
--
http://trac.haqistan.net | att...@stalphonsos.com | 0xE6CC1EDB