Hi Nils,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:06:32AM +0100, Nils Reuße wrote:
> From what i've learned reading about the texlive release process [2],
> the ctan for texlive 2016 will be in a freeze period soon (staring 1st
> of april)

I've just had a prod around in the tlnet-final from 2015. Here's the
lowdown. Sorry for the long mail.

The frozen final versions have a tlpdb file, which is good, as that's
what I use to generate the packing lists. What they don't have is a
tarball containing the corresponding texmf and sources. We would have to
roll our own out of svn, and then we would have to host the (large)
files somewhere.

I had a look to see how much changes from the release texlive 2015 to
the final frozen one:

$ gdiff -u texlive2015.tlpdb texlive-final.tlpdb | wc -l
  342965

So it's no small change, otherwise I could roll up the packages that had
changed, download those as extra distfiles, and patch the release tlpdb.

Assuming we could find hosting, I'm not sure I can face the prospect of
porting texlive 2016-final followed by 2017 only a couple of months
later ;)

What you could try is, on a linux distro (or by building by hand on
OpenBSD), install texlive 2016, then update only those packages that
you said were busted by putting new versions in the ~/.texmf and
see if it works. If it does, I could probably work those in.

But I do wonder, since I'm hoping texlive 2016 will be fairly short
lived in-tree (in favor of the almost released texlive 2017 coming in
June), and since there is a working (albeit annoying) workaround, maybe
the best thing to do is to mention the workaround in our 2016 package
README and hold tight for texlive 2017.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards