On 04/22/18 18:29, tfrohwein wrote:
http://docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/development/compiling/compiling_for_x11.html
says "Python 2.7+ (Python 3 only supported as of SCons 3.0)", our
devel/scons is at 2.5.1, so you should set MODPY_VERSION accordingly.
scons does use python2.7 during the build. Would it make sense to rather add
this to the devel/scons module? (cc'ing Maintainer)
It's only used a build time.
This might be because Python 3 is not installed on your system.
python3 *is* installed on my system.

Explicitly setting the required version makes intention clear and avoids
errors when building with autodetected versions.

If devel/scons<=2.5.1 is limited to Python 2 this should obviously be
set there instead of every port using it.
Just going by existing ports, of 12 using scons module, only one sets
MODPY_VERSION (databases/mongodb). Here the list:

audio/hydrogen
databases/mongodb
emulators/fceux
games/boswars
games/dangerdeep
games/dxx-rebirth
games/pingus
graphics/mapnik
multimedia/ffmpeg2theora
net/serf
x11/gaia
x11/xsettingsd

While I acknowledge that pre-existing practice doesn't equal best approach,
whatever *would* break with the godot draft *should* already have broken the
11 scons ports above that also don't set MODPY_VERSION. The fact that there
don't seem to be such reports indicates to me that this might ultimately be a
non-issue.

I think this should be in the discussion of the scons port, not this port. I'm
happy to adjust my ports if needed.

scons has full support for out-of-tree builds and ports as big as Godot
will benefit from it, can you look into enabling SEPARATE_BUILD? See
http://www.scons.org/doc/2.5.0/HTML/scons-user/ch15.html .
Enabling SEPARATE_BUILD alone doesn't achieve anything and the binary is still
built in WRKSRC.
Yes, I noticed that.

thfr@e5570:/usr/ports$ fgrep -iR variant_dir *
thfr@e5570:/usr/ports$

There isn't a single example of using scons' variant directory tree in our
ports tree and the use is far from intuitive.

The example in your link uses a modification to a single SConscript file to
achieve this. godot doesn't have an SConscript file, but several SCsub files.
If someone more familiar with scons knows how to set this up with variant_dir
(including platform names in the build directory names) scenario I'd be happy
to test.
Unfortunately, I'm completely unfamiliar with scons, too.

Brian, maybe you can help out?

Either ways, SEPARATE_BUILD shouldn't block the import of Godot once
the port is ready. We can still work on that later on.
Agree.

Sorry I'm late to this party, though now I'm unsure what I'm supposed to be helping out with? Scons needs an update too, version 3 was released some time ago. I couldn't get all the scons ports to build with the new version though and haven't had time to track things down. But I haven't been too worried since no one has proposed a port that requires the new scons...

~Brian