On 2018/09/14 15:10, Frederic Cambus wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 08:08:58PM +0100, Tom Murphy wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have qwprogs.dat in files/, as it
> > > means commiting a 196K binary file to CVS.
> > >
> > > I think it would be better to package it and host it somewhere, and
> > > download it as an additional distfile.
>
> >   The file is freely distributable (under GPLv2+ license), and there's
> > a copy up at:
> >
> > https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/QW/progs/qwprogs.dat
> >
> >   Would that be a sufficient place to get it or does it need to be hosted
> > somewhere else? I don't have the capability to do any long term hosting of
> > distfiles, unfortunately.
>
> Fetching non versioned files like this one is problematic in case the
> content change at some point, so should be avoided.
>
> I don't have a definitive answer on what should be done to move
> this port forward, but I see three options:
>
> 1) Don't fetch and install the .dat file. I see in pkg/README that some
> additional files are required to be manually installed anyway, so it
> could be mentioned here. That's what the FreeBSD port is doing.
>
> 2) Create a versioned archive like qwprogs-20180914.tar.gz containing
> the .dat file and licensing information, and host it somewhere.
>
> 3) Get the .dat file from the Quake repository, using a MASTER_SITES0
> directive, look at emulators/ppsspp for an example. It's a bit wasteful
> to fetch the whole repository just for one file, but it isn't that big
> so that could be option and this solves the versioning problem.

You don't need the entire repo, you can fetch the blob by commit id -
https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/raw/0023db327bc1db00068284b70e1db45857aeee35/QW/progs/qwprogs.dat

Either the file will need renaming using DISTFILES {} syntax, or download
it to a versioned subdirectory with DIST_SUBDIR, but that's easy enough to do.