-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: passenger side <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: Other voices - Linda Ronstadt

> Linda Ronstadt - another great voice, full of quivering
>vibratto,
>>  but devoid of sincerity and emotion.
>

>        You got that right! Especially obvious on that song she did about
the
>windstorm, "Blew By You".
>        At least it sounded like that's what she thought it was.

You know, I didn't mean to start an evil Linda thread, but I do agree with
your assessment.  I became attracted to Ronstadt with the song,
"Long, Long Time".  I wasn't crazy about her rendering of the song, but I
really liked the song.  Sometimes I like a good, sappy heartbreak tune.
I've never heard this song done by anyone else, does anyone know if it has
been?  I would be interested in hearing some other interpretations.  Anyway,
I do think Linda did a few songs proud.  "Someone To Lay Down Beside Me" and
the hit which made her career "You're No Good" plus "Heart Like A Wheel" and
"Willin'".
I'm sure there are a few others.  By the way, were you thinking of "Cry Like
A Rainstorm"  (Eric Kaz)?  Bonnie Raitt played this at least 50% better and
still her rendition is a bit ambivalent and I adore Raitt.  Recognizing that
many of our current country "stars" credit Ronstadt as their "influence
"just makes me wonder  Now, we have to understand that Linda did a few
"country" covers and recorded with a band which was very
soft-rock/pop-country  and radio-ready.  The Stone Poneys may have brought
Ronstadt to a wider acceptance for her solo outings on country radio,  yet
it was her  rock recording of "You're No Good" which catapulted her into
"rock" stardom.    Linda tried to keep the country spirit alive by recording
"I Will Always Love You" yet who has ever done it better than Dolly Parton?
Whitney Houston?  Oh, please...  I see the Ronstadt influence alive in our
current crop of throaty belters and I cannot believe that anyone would see
Ronstadt as the level to which all contemporary female singers should
ascribe to.  Yet, we see her overvblown influence in such singers as Trisha
Yearwood, Martina McBride, Jo Dee Messina and Sara Evans.