I notice several listweasels (and I use that term most fondly, of course)
have been spinning this upcoming CD.  I also noticed that at least one of
them described it as "different."  Without trying to jump the gun too much,
is that true?  If they're staggering drunkenly off in a new direction, what
is it?

In a Waco-related development, I heard yesterday that Frank Orrall is
paring back Chicago's most wildly overrated band -- Poi Dog Ponderous
-- to a core of 4 members.  Word is Frank wants to pursue a more
electronic, less song-oriented approach.  How you get less song
oriented that a jam band is beyond me, but most importantly, that core
apparently does not include Steve Goulding.  While I'm sure The Big Stick
will miss the extra dough, one hopes this will free him to (as Jonboy
himself would say) abandon his musical career and spend more time
playing in Langford's bands.

Tom (who remembers seeing a short film on Night Flight with Webb
Wilder doing a hilarious deadpan turn as a private eye who was
pursuing an alien abduction case.  Perhaps that helped him get his role
as a hotel desk clerk in that nifty little Peter Bogdanovich movie "The
Thing Called Love."  As I recall, the latter movie also featured K.T. Oslin,
J.D. Gilmore, Jo-El Sonnier, Kevin Welch, Pam Tillis and Trisha Yearwood,
plus the late River Phoenix doing a decent job on a couple Rodney
Crowell songs and on a great Harlan Howard song "Blame It On Your
Heart."  And a great performance from Samantha Mathis.)