"I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" is a good overview w/great, wry
track-by-track liner notes by Zevon himself. It leaves some
stuff out, though, including what may be his only straight
country song (the name of which escapes me now), a duet
with Dwight Yoakum. It's from a late album, "Mr. Bad
Example." That omission is partly made up by including his
rockin' version of "Raspberry Beret" with most of R.E.M.
backing him up. Speaking of the Artist covers...

His eponymous first album is essential for lovers of that
'70s L.A. singer/songwriter sound, produced by Jackson
Browne, and featuring a veritable Whos Who of L.A. stars
and session players, most notably David Lindley. Even Phil
Everly sings harmony (Zevon got his start in the Everlys'
band). Try also "Sentimental Hygiene" for a good late '80s
Zevon album.

Almost forgot, there's a pretty good country-sounding song,
"Bed of Nails" on the otherwise mediocre "Bad Luck Streak
in Dancing School." Unless I'm mistaken, La Rondstadt sings
backup on that one.

Probably more Zevon than most wanted to hear, I
guess...sorry it's been a long year off in splendid
isolation...

William Cocke
Senior Writer
HSC Development