Working backwards...

Stevie said:

> >From what I recall, one tentative objection (Jon W?) was to
> earle's voice, which was thought not to be a great bluegrass tool.

Not an objection, an observation.  Which I stand by.  Thinking about
bluegrass voices, Earle basically hasn't got one.  From which it does not
follow, I hasten to add, that The Mountain is not a bluegrass album; by and
large, it is.

Stevie was replying to Jim, who said inter alia:

>It's due on February 23, I think,
>and contains some of Steve's best songs ever.

2/23 it is.  Oddly enough, though I've had an advance for more than a month,
and though I got the final a little more than a week ago, Del'n'em had not
seen it until I showed them my copy yesterday.  They were bemused by the
cover art.

>The most likeable thing about it, is the looseness of it.

For some folks, not for everyone <g>.  For me, the most likeable thing about
it is the songs, and Earle's dedication to really taking bluegrass
seriously.  I like the album.

For a much lengthier discussion of The Mountain and the McCoury experience
in making it, see my forthcoming article in Bluegrass Now; it should be in
the April issue.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/