Carl says:

>> the absence of the instrument, or of the fiddle,
>> is not a reliable marker for HNC, and especially ought not to
>> be used as a point of derision by alt.country fans.
>
> Fair enough, and I for one wouldn't call'em on that.  (Hell, Johnny Cash
> has cut too many records without fiddle or steel for that to be a
> reasonable call in my book.) I would say though, that steel and fiddle
> (off the top of my head, Dina, this includes the Jayhawks, Geraldine
> Fibbers, Freakwater, Blood Oranges, etc) have been prevalent in
> alt.country bands' music.

I still find that "prevalent" a bit hard to swallow, so I'd be interested if
you or someone would undertake to analyze the best-of lists, or a sample of
several months' worth of ND reviews, or the ND Top 40, or some fairly
sizeable list of alt.country releases/acts in these terms.  In any event, we
seem to be agreed on the main point.

> ....Nashville sports a larger central infrastructure of
> players (and money to pay those players), which bands working in other
> cities don't have access to, regardless of their tastes.  I know of
> several bands that would love to play live with a steel player but can't
> afford or find one.

That's surely a factor, perhaps the major one, but I think there are perhaps
differing sets of expectations involved, too.

>This might be the launching point for a
>thread amongst themusicians on the list.  Are there instruments you'd
>like to use either live or in the studio that you are unable to use due
>to cost or lack of interested players?

We'd love to have a theremin player, but they all say they're holding out
for the big bucks.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/