>>> Actually, so far "Real" is a contender for me, too.

>>>I'm with Chad on that one; disappointing.

Can't we all just get along?

Here's a version of a review of Real that I wrote. It's in today's Austin
Chronicle.

Jim, smilin'

Various Artists-Real-The Tom T Hall Project (Delmore-Sire) 4 stars
The tribute album has had it

’s highs and lows in the past couple of years,
equally dependent on who’s being feted and who doing the recognition. This
one is one of the highs and for all the right reasons. The only real
surprise here is that it’s taken anyone this long to recognize Tom T. Hall,
one of America’s greatest songwriters. The artists appearing on Real The
Tom T. Hall Project, range from the venerable, Johnny Cash and Ralph
Stanley, to the cream of today’s alternative country, Whiskeytown, Kelly
Willis and Iris DeMent, to some fine singer/songwriters in their own right,
Freedy Johnston and Ron Sexsmith, to some names that most folks probably
won’t recognize, R.B. Morris and Joel R.L. Phelps. The real strength of the
collection is that despite the obvious penchant of each artist putting
their own spin on Hall’s tunes, each song’s down to earth nature shines
through. Hall has become known as "The Storyteller" and nearly every song
he’s ever written is a brief vignette, a glimpse of everyday life that may
have escaped our eyes, if he hadn’t been around to capture it with wit and
stylish simplicity. The adaptability of his art is evident in such widely
diverse readings as Cash’s reverent straightforward, solo acoustic reading
of  "I Washed My Face In The Morning Dew,"  Syd Straw & The Skeletons
lyrical re-writing and high energy rock version of  "Harper Valley P.T.A.,"
Calexico’s marichi influenced reading of  "Tulsa Telephone Book" and
Whiskeytown’s perfectly mournful country rock take of "I Hope It Rains At
My Funeral." With such divergent styles, one might think that Real-The Tom
T. Hall Project is difficult listen, when in fact it’s pleasure and that
proves that tribute albums when done right are still alive and well.

I should probably point out that Jon didn't like Rig Rock Deluxe, either.
:-)