I'd think that Lang left off trying to make it in the country music field
because she didn't have much success in it, and while coming out might have
been the last nail in the coffin, her no-meat stance (<- indicates public
aspect, not just private taste) *was* poorly received, and it *did* come a
couple of years before her sexual orientation was a matter of public
discussion.  The fact is, though, that even before that, she may have been a
critics' fave and a Grammy winner (though we know about the vagaries of
NARAS voting on country categories), but she got nowhere to speak of on the
radio - two singles that tiptoed up to the low 20s on the Billboard chart at
a time (88-89) when things hadn't really shut down yet, and folks like
Lovett, Earle, Carpenter, et. al. were doing as well or better.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/