Brad Bechtel wrote:

> I'll admit it.  I downloaded the Other Ones' MP3 of ''Mississippi Half Step.''  It
>sucked, to quote Jeff Wall.  There are a lot of decent MP3s out there (see
>http://www.mp3.com for legal ones; search for the others).
>
> The technology is relatively easy to master, the sound is quite good, and the sizes
>are decent.  For example, I made an MP3 of the song "Dwight's Blues" from Rob Ickes'
>new CD "Slide City" (for testing purposes, not for dissemination).  The original 16
>bit 44kHz stereo AIFF file was 36.3 Mb.  The MP3 was 3.3 Mb.
>
> I wonder when someone will come up with a way to translate RealAudio files into MP3.

I think MP3 sounds pretty good, but I do hear artifacts from its
compression- the high end sounds sort of swirly, but it is still pretty
decent sound. I have one on our page if you want to check it out at:
<http://www.kimmierhodes.com/wonderfulsound.html>
--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records