Brad Bechtel wrote:

> I would expect that bands will end up doing a lot of recording to hard disk in
>whatever format they see fit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see MP3 being the
>delivery format for a while.

Yeah, MP3 is only useful as a way to compress an existing master audio
file into a file small enough to be downloaded in a reasonable amount of
time, which has been the holy grail of internet music dreamers for years.

I think it is close enough to CD quality that some fans won't even
notice, but the hard-core ones will notice and still want the CD. It is,
of course, only the first in a series of these compression schemes and
we are rapidly reaching the point where a lot of music is about to be
sold and downloaded instantly.

The record industry is scrambling to try to force people to put an
encoder into audio files for the 'net which makes it impossible to clone
the file.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records