Jim, smilin', asks:

> A while back there was some talk here of putting together an alt.country
>timeline. Did that ever happen? if not does anyone know where I might be
>able to find such a thing?
>Thanks,
>Jim, smilin

It hasn't happened... yet.

I've been working on it a little bit. But holy moly, what a daunting task.
Call for volunteers! Call for volunteers! Step right up!

Actually money might be involved if you want to really work hard. (Talk
about musicians... nobody wants to pay writers, either.)

While I'm thinking about it, I came up with a solution -- that works for me
-- to dealing with the infernal question "What is Alternative Country?"

For the purposes of the time-line -- although it's also my general
philosophy -- I don't attempt to define "alternative country" at all.
Instead... sort of turn it around a bit, and consider --

 -- an alternative way of looking at country music.

Ta da!

It works, I tell you!

Example: If I say Twangin' is an alternative country website, then the word
"alternative" modifies "country website." An different kind of website
about country music, not (necessarily) a website about a different kind of
country music.

Example: Mainstream and "alt-country" do not break down into simple,
mutually exclusive categories. People like Dwight Yoakam can become popular
in the mainstream; people like Dolly Parton do albums an alt-boy can love.
So instead of cudgelling one's brains trying to place these artists on one
"side" or another, why, you take up your handy-dandy alternative way of
looking at country music, which allows you to to see that what the
mainstream country media (esp. radio) defines as "real" country is not
historically accurate, correct, or definitive. Country music encompasses
more than what's on the charts, and especially more than what's played on
the radio. It includes bluegrass! Old-Time music! Rockabilly! Anyone who
defines country music narrowly is WRONG! The narrow definition whereby
"alternative" = "obscure" is untenable as well. A musician isn't
disqualified from being regarded from an alternative way of looking at
country music when he becomes popular and successful. Furthermore, even an
established mainstream artist can be considered interesting according to an
alternative way of looking at country music if her music wanders away from
the currently narrow, cramped, blindered definition and frolics 'round the
wide-open spaces of Country Music Through Space and Time.

Defining it as post-Tupelo country-rock, or as "authentic" pure real
country music -- not in my book. I prefer an alternative way of looking at
country music that takes it all into account. And the tiresome phrase
"alternative country, whatever that is" is answered. It's a viewpoint, is
what. Or actually -- *coff* -- many alternative viewpoints...

Well, hell. We need more. Gets stifling in here sometimes. Hey, anybody
want to discuss how working class people listen to country music? Think we
can find any of them critters? (I'm in one of my moods. Chip? What chip?)

Anyway, as for the timeline, *my* alternative way of looking at country
music means I can include Buck Owens if I dang heck want to, and Dolly
Parton and Johnny "Alternative to what?" Cash. As well as that country-rock
band from the Midwest.

To me, a timeline based on an alternative way of looking at country music
would be a lot more intersting and useful than a timeline of alternative
country bands. (Well, you can do your own, then!) Rather than having to
decide, "is this artist really alternative country?" the question would be,
"how does this artist fit into an alterantive way of looking at country
music?" How does Ralph Stanley fit in? Tish Hinojosa? Merle Haggard? What
effect does Garth Brooks have? Etc.

More on this later,
--Cheryl Cline