Jamie Hoover wrote:

>I'm still trying to figure out the anti-country (any country) backlash in
> Gallup ... many people who make a living
> off the Indians don't like being reminded that they're in the west.  The blatant
> paternalism is truly offensive, especially to someone who has only lived in the
> west.My first day here all I heard was "well, local programming is ok as long as
> it isn't Country and Western"

Yeah, that's odd. I wonder if metropolitan Nashville natives
were like that in the early days of the Opry, before the
recording money started barreling in. Maybe it's part of the
undying urge to identify with a larger mass culture and
ignore the local stuff. I lived in New Orleans about 20 years
ago and hearing local musicians on the radio outside of
Mardi Gras season was rare.  I also remember an old Cajun
guy in Golden Meadow whose granddaughter was transfixed
by the Osmonds. She couldn't have cared less about the
culture she was living in.
> Hey you are headin west aren't you?  Have a great time in Alpine and Austin.
Thanks, I Ieave on Monday!
Tom