Hi Tom,

Tom Smith wrote:

> Jamie Hoover wrote:
> >
> > I'm still trying to figure out the anti-country (any country) backlash in
> > Gallup and one theory that was presented to me was that it wasn't actually
> > anti-country but anti-Navajo. --Yikes.
>
> Yikes indeed. Just outta curiosity, if country is out, what's
> "in" instead?

What I'm finding out is that the folks that tend to call this station are really
against anything, music or involvement that is of a local/community nature.
Strangest thing I've ever come across.  Seems that many people who make a living
off the Indians don't like being reminded that they're in the west.  The blatant
paternalism is truly offensive, especially to someone who has only lived in the
west.My first day here all I heard was "well, local programming is ok as long as
it isn't Country and Western"  about seven people said that to me in day.  The
folks that don't like the west want Classical and Jazz programming,especially if
it is NPR produced.
Very strange indeed.
Hey you are headin west aren't you?  Have a great time in Alpine and Austin.
Jamie