> Yeah, that's odd. I wonder if metropolitan Nashville natives
> were like that in the early days of the Opry, before the
> recording money started barreling in. Maybe it's part of the
> undying urge to identify with a larger mass culture and
> ignore the local stuff.

Maybe, but I think it has at least as much to do with underlying class
issues.  Nashville's upper crust, for instance, prided itself on living in
The Athens Of The South (hence the Parthenon), and by and large disdained
the Opry and the country music bidness into the 1960s, but I don't think
that attitude permeated all sectors of the city's population.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/