At 08:09 AM 2/23/99 -0600, Jim wrote:

>I agree with Dina, although I've heard  a lot more than she has. It seems
>like standard rock-crit snobbery (is that a word? <g>) that most of the
>general public just ignores. I would have put a Steve Earle or Dave Alvin
>record in there, instead of Jimmie Gilmore (which I don't think holds up
>too well over the years)

If what most of the general public ignores is how we determine rock crit
snobbery, then it seems to me that the Jimmie Dale pick would be more
populist, less elitist, than the Alvin you propose, since I'm betting that
Gilmore has outsold him by a long shot. The same may be true of Earle too,
though that's also just a guess--more likely, at least in in terms of
appreciation by the general public, Earle and Gilmore are equally snobby
picks.

I think you're right, though, Jim--Earle (I Feel Alright) and maybe Alvin
(Blue Blvd.) get in way before Gilmore. Guess I'm a snobby critic! <g>

Lance wrote:

>And it's not that it isn't eclectic, but in quite a few
>cases, the guy picks the wrong album from whatever artist he's trying to
>highlight. (PJ Harvey "To Bring You My Love" and Beck "Odelay" come
>immediately to mind).

Depends on what is trying to be proven. If something new is the thing, then
PJ's Rid Of Me, I guess, and Beck's Mellow Gold might be better picks. But
as for arguments that this has been a great decade for music, which is what
the article's title described, then I'd say Kot got it exactly, and pretty
obviously, right.

>Plus, let's face it: If you have 50 goddamn chances to
>pick Anodyne and you come up with the goose-egg--get to the back of the bus,
>ya chump!!

Well, I agree you gotta pick a Tupelo--and Anodyne's awfully damn good; I
won't argue against it--but I'd go with Still Feel Gone myself. --david
cantwell