In a message dated 2/24/99 8:07:12 AM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  Hell, name me 5 concept albums that have worked out well
 regardless of genre. >>

"Yesterday's Wine" Willie Nelson
"Phases and Stages " Willie Nelson
"Red Headed Stranger" Willie Nelson
"Quadrophenia" the Who
"Tommy" the Who
"Sargeant Pepper" the Beatles

There are dozens of others that I can't think of right now, but i am sure
other P2ers will. I would also say that most of the songs on these particular
albums hold up very well on their own.

<<To have to read liner notes and written material before I can understand how
good a record is or what a great concept I'm dealing with is firthers my
point.  This is aural art, not literary genius.  The music is, or should be,
the important thing. >>

Ouch. I feel that a true lover of music, particularly songwriting (which IS a
form of literary genius), would be willing to take the time to read what the
artist is trying to express if they provide the information. My biggest
problem with CDs is the difficulty I have reading the microprint that fills
the booklets. I miss 12X12 LP covers terribly. Not wanting to read what is
included in an album is a just another symptom of our high-speed technocratic
culture that wants information immediately, and without much effort required.

Why do I feel that this negative response to Russell's album was essentially
preordained by the first post on it a month ago declaring it one of the
greatest records of all time? Maybe it's the reverse of the Lucinda Syndrome.

Slim