>>> Barry Mazor wrote:
>Yeah, yow. I picked up the "Greatest Hits by Johnnie & Jack" >cassette tape sold on
>the Kitty Wells website, and it's not as
>good a selection as that record!  The Bear Family Johnnie &
>Jack box is definitely more of 'em than I'd want, poisonally...

You Johnnie and Jack (and Kitty Wells) fans ought to check out the Bear Family CD
15808 - Johnnie and Jack with Kitty Wells at KWKH.  Recorded in 1948 or 49, I think,
the album is made of cuts culled from radio transcriptions made for their day-time
show during their tenure as members of the Louisiana Hayride.  No hit songs here,
rather they do covers of other folks' material - Stanley Brothers, Hank Williams,
Molly O'Day and the Cumberland Mt. Folks, Jimmie Osborne, etc. - and some great fiddle
tunes from Paul Warren.  This CD probably is more representative of the group's sound
than any other currently available album - though I'd love to find a copy of that
box-set.

Jim Nelson