Geff says:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Mike Woods wrote:
>
> > How Clarence White, admirable guitarist that he is, qualifies
> >for this is beyond me.
> >
> > -- Mike Woods
>
> The fifth Beatle was Don Rich.
> If not for him, the Bealtes' sound as we know it today would not exist.

I'm sorry - I hate to disagree with a bass player - but I just don't see it.
Rich's tenure with Owens began around early 1960, he was featured about as
much on the fiddle as on the guitar, and they didn't really hit a groove for
another year; Buck's first album wasn't released until 1961, and he didn't
have his first #1 until 1963 (it was "Act Naturally").  I believe that if
you listen to the Tony Sheridan recordings, the early tracks from Live At
The BBC, etc., you'll hear the Beatles' sound as we know it today already
surprisingly well-formed.  I don't see that there was enough time for the
Buckaroos sound to have had much of an influence on the basics of the
Beatles' style, and it's interesting that while they covered a lot of stuff
in their BBC appearances - Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, songs
from Leiber-Stoller and Goffin-King, etc. - there's not a Buck song among
them.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/