>A British 'comedian' Edward Sidebottom (or something like that) release
>"the worlds longest comedy CD" its actually 90 minutes of comedy - there
>are separate bits in the left channel and right channel so you hear one
routine
>with the balance all the way to the left and a different one with the
balance all
>the way to the right. Cool, eh?

That is techno-riffic. It is also kind of ironic, given a conversation I
just had with my department head here at Alabama. He teaches a
correspondence course on The Beatles, which, of course, begat a two-hour
conversation. At some point I told him to remind his students that the
Beatles put about 40 songs on their albums. When he looked at me kind of
funny, I said that if you pan the records to the left what you hear is quite
often different from what's going on to the right (aside from the virtually
unavoidable drum and guitar bleed). "Drive My Car," for instance, has Ringo,
Paul's funky bass, and John's stun-guitar to the left--all rhythm
section--while a lead guitar (George?) and a lead piano (Paul?) riff
alongside a cowbell. The vocals (John and Paul) are then double-tracked, but
the vocals on the left are lower and slightly behind, creating a wonderful
echo effect. Martin's experimentation with I-believe-nascent stereophonic
sound, created a "song" for each ear, which, when combined, created the
"master song." Man, I never get tired of talking about those guys. Even
Clarence, the fifth Beatle.

Lance . . .