>Not to beat a dead horse, but could someone who saw Shania's performance
>tonight, puh-leeze explain to me what she's got to do with country music?
>Oh it must be the twin fiddles in the band. <g>
>Jim, smilin'

Label affiliation?   I suspect Nashville would easily let her go as one of
"theirs" if it were not for the millions she generates in sales.  She has
done some songs which are more country than her current output - Any Man Of
Mine and Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under  for instance, but a lot of
her "charm" IS with the pop audience.  She's a marketer's dream, don't you
think?  With Lange in tow, it could be a bit like Pygmalion and Galatea <g>.
Anyway, what I personally think is that so much "bad" press ( people said
she can't sing etc;) only fueled the interest of those who probably wouldn't
have taken a second look anyway.   Yet, if she's able to stir interest in
more people delving into country music, then I don't see any harm.  I do
know several people who never listened to country music before, but since
Twain and some others with a pop/rock bent came along, they're now looking
into other kinds of country music...
But, what I wonder...if she had been originally marketed as "pop",  sans
fiddle in the mix, would she have ever charted?  Was Nashville just a
convenient vehicle?
Tera