Me-toos: Celine (nationalism be damned), Alanis for confusing a
     generation about the meaning of the word irony (nationalism ditto),
     Phish (look, turning people onto bluegrass is still no excuse for
     turning much larger numbers of people on to hackysack) (no offense,
     Amy!), and add the goddamn Dave Matthews Band while you're at it (the
     Supertramp of our age).

     Plus: Stevie Ray Vaughn, who while inoffensive and sometimes soulful
     in himself has inspired the worst teenage guitar boy fantasies since
     Jim Morrison. In the same spirit, Yngwie Malmstein. Oh, and why not
     Jim Morrison? (And Neil, no pre-punk whining from you.)

     Alternate-universe fun: Imagine there's no Beatles. (Or can we at
     least imagine *less* Beatles? Puh-leez?)

     No way: Joni, who is pretty much responsible for the acceptance of
     serious female songwriters since the 1970s, despite her occasional
     excesses (and Mingus is a great album too).
        I also object to picking on Styx, whose camp excesses are the
     source of endless amusement (why next you'll be killing off Burton
     Cummings!) The Buckner and Ray Stevens battling blow-offs are beneath
     notice.

     Pet peeves: Eradicate the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Eradicate Oh
     Susanna. Eradicate James Taylor (oh, he already has). Eradicate Paul
     Simon - even though I like his stuff at times, I think it would be
     healthy. (Well, maybe Graceland can stay - wouldn't be kind to wipe
     out all those great African bands along with the little whiner).
     Eradicate Will Smith. (Vanilla Ice being too easy). And, despite their
     groovetastic moments, eradicate the Wu-Tang Clan, who've dragged
     hip-hop kids way off in the comic-book direction.

     I was going to go on to Twangcentric eradications but not up for the
     fight. Next round.

     carl w.