On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Terry A. Smith wrote:

> guess I'd make Thompson's decade end in the mid-90s). The point is that
> for me these two artists are very similar -- masterful songwriters and
> arrangers, killer vocals and guitar, and every song makes a point. Even
> though critics and fans have huge expectations for these two, they seldom
> issue a clunker, and their albums hang together as single works of art.
> Two of the greatest records of the past dozen years -- Thompson's "Rumor
> and Sigh" and Earle's "Train a Comin'." -- Terry Smith

well, I'd agree with this (re: rumour and sigh) and I gotta say that RT is
one of my absolute heroes.  Best show I ever saw was RT live (solo) at the
Majestic Theater in Detroit in like 1992.  Damn . . .

But with the exception of Rumour and Sigh I don't think his records hold
up as well as his songs.  ANd I blame the production more than anything.
I would still agree with Terry, if he had done anything that I liked
in the last 5 years . . . but INdustry and a bunch of live bootlegs with
Danny Thompson has left me a little wanting.

Intriguing offering though, Terry.

-jim