<that *is* an excellent article.  It ought to be pointed out, though, that
<"City Lights," "Once A Day" and "Saginaw, Michigan" barely begins to start
<scratching the surface of great Anderson songs; I suppose that editorially
<speaking it would have made for excess to list many more than three.  Still,
<folks interested in songwriting ought to head over to http://bmi.com and
<check out Anderson's catalog; in my opinion, he's one of the very best ever
<at it.  Fine Wine is a pretty enjoyable album, too, and there's a great song
<on there every musician ought to check out, called "My Van."

<Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/

       It's also interesting that "Saginaw, Michigan" keeps getting singled
out as one of Anderson's greatest creations when he actually had less to do
with writing it than with any of his other songs. He just helped the guy with
a couple of lines and instead of a writer's credit, he was supposed to get the
first crack at recording it. When the song somehow wound up with Lefty
Frizzell instead, Anderson was given a cowriting credit to make up for it.

      Bill Anderson was /is one of the greatest - and most prolific -
songwriters in history, and at least 90% of the songs he got recorded he wrote
solo.  I'm still amazed that I can never pick up an old country album without
finding something by him on there. And Jon is write about "Fine Wine" and  "My
Van."