>Atkins has said more than once that the development of the >Nashville Sound had an
>economic motivation, but I don't know >that he's ever counterposed it to valid
>artistic statements.

Jon, I swear I'm not making this up, but I read somewhere (and it wasn't Carlin's
book) an interview with Chet in which he expressed what sounded to me like some
honest-to-God regret for his role (as a producer/arranger) in influencing the
stylistic direction country music had taken (i.e. away from it's "rural" roots).  Now
I bet you want me to find this article, right? <g>

>Terry, you really might want to think about picking up a copy
>of Joli Jensen's book, _The Nashville Sound: Authenticity, >Commercialization, and
>Country Music."  Lots of direct quotes
>on the subject therein.

>From whom?  Sounds like I need to find this book, too.

Jim Nelson