> > How much did they ever wanna do anything else?  The irony here
> is that if
> > there had been a P2 back then, some folks on the list would have been
> > pointing to the same thing in relation to Anderson.  Not that
> he's wrong,
> > mind you, but I'll bet that he'd argue that there's a
> difference between,
> > say, Owen Bradley or Chet Atkins and Pat Quigley, and I suspect that not
> > everyone would agree that there is.
>
> First of all, who's Pat Quigley?

Prexy/CEO of Capitol Nashville, the one who purportedly suggested calling
Patsy Cline to see if she'd duet with John Berry.  The irony *here* is...

> Second, there was something in that big
> bad Carlin book of country music, in which he stated that Atkins has been
> apologetic about his 60s pop production, averring that it was a
> desperate and deliberate
> strategy to save the industry from ruin, as opposed to a valid artistic
> statement.

Atkins has said more than once that the development of the Nashville Sound
had an economic motivation, but I don't know that he's ever counterposed it
to valid artistic statements.

Terry, you really might want to think about picking up a copy of Joli
Jensen's book, _The Nashville Sound: Authenticity, Commercialization, and
Country Music."  Lots of direct quotes on the subject therein.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/