I've been following this thread and trying to keep a lid on my temper,
     since I know that Richard was addressing career strategy and didn't
     mean his comments to sound the way they did - personally, when I hear
     someone say "flaunting it" and "shoving it in people's faces," the
     subtext that comes across is that gays should be shamed, thus
     discreet. And of course rock stars flaunt their heterosexuality all
     the time, so the double standard is annoying. But I know Richard was
     talking about a homophobic social context and talking about what RW
     should do to "make it." Ok, let's look at it that way.

     First of all, as Richard said, it takes (at most) five minutes to know
     that Rufus is gay - both in person and on record. So people who aren't
     open to a gay artist aren't going to like him, no matter what he says
     or doesn't say. This is important: Rufus really is bringing gay
     culture to the straight music world in the most blatant way, with the
     most label support and acclaim, that one can imagine. So the outcome
     will be telling. (New Wave etc. was full of queer music and subtexts,
     but that was tied to its Underground status, whereas Rufus is
     positioned as a mainstream, though left-of-centre, artist. And people
     like the Pet Shop Boys are very Britishly ambiguous and coy in their
     way of presenting sexuality, anyway.)

     But, more relevantly, Rufus's music is very dense, complex, with many
     non-rock influences (cabaret, show tunes, opera -- all very
     gay-identified too). I gather that both he and the record company are
     happy with sales so far, and that sales have been gradually picking up
     speed. The optimistic thing about Rufus's position from an industry
     point of view is that Dreamworks consciously signed him as a "career
     artist," accepting that it might take a few albums before he builds up
     a solid audience, and that he might never be a real hit-parade
     quantity. And this is ok with them, apparently, entrusting to Rufus's
     charm, looks, etc. that he'll get and hold a strong cult following.

     This is where his sexuality comes back in - Rufus can't afford to be
     more discreet and shy. A lot of the reason that his inaccessible music
     can be embraced by a pop audience, potentially, is that he is a very
     distinctive and attractive personality and performer. To downplay that
     personality - which would certainly be necessary if he wanted to tone
     down his gayness - would be to toss one of his main assets away.

     And considering the screaming young girls I saw at his show Tues.
     night here, I don't see the evidence that he's alienating "straight
     audiences." Might I gently suggest that to a large proportion of the
     younger audience, straight and not-so-straight, his sexuality is
     simply not that big a deal (or even a bit titillating)? Consider that
     experimentation with bisexuality etc. is fairly accepted, even
     fashionable, in liberal-arts schools in the late 90s - there might be
     a slight generation gap showing in Richard's analysis.

     Ultimately, I think opera is much more alienating to a pop audience
     than homosexuality is to college students. But if Rufus keeps
     expanding his status as an idol of that younger crowd, then he can
     afford to wait out the word-of-mouth process and let the mainstream
     pop world catch up later. Without having to compromise or dissemble
     about who and what he is.

     Carl W.