Carl Wilson wrote:

> Case in point: Last night I went to see a free gig in town by the V-Roys,
> who I thought were a great bar band, though they were batting about .500 on
> decent songs. But the crowd was a really roadhouse-country-rock-lovin'
> bunch, who wanted their roots as loud and straight-up and danceable as
> possible.

Is that any different from people at a Metallica show not wanting to
hear Lars & co sound like Celine Dion? Or Ziggy Marley fans not
wanting Ziggy to pull a glam-rock move?

I think that's one of the dangers of bands who want to have one foot
in the alt.country door and the other somewhere else. If they can
sell to a roadhouse audience, great -- but they shouldn't be
surprised if Mike Ireland goes over better than Wilco. Ditto with
bands who play roots music with camp or irony.  Mike told me
once he wished they could play more VFW-type places. Wilco, on
the other hand, would get killed at a biker bar.

Not making this point as clearly as I'd like,
Dave

***
Dave Purcell, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northern Ky Roots Music: http://w3.one.net/~newport