What's his beef? He did the Mermaid Ave music in a roosty vein (never
have I heard a band try so hard to sound like the Basement Tapes, BTW),
so it's not like a huge stretch for folks to expect him and WIlco to
still produce ND related music, when his last project *was* so NDish.
Now he has a big ELO pop music spectacular, which is fine, but for him
to express bewilderment that folks are surprised and maybe not thrilled
with such sudden musical changes is funny. It is a radical jump from one
album to the next. People who like the Neil Young sound don't rush out
and embrace his rockabilly big band techno albums either. People like
consistancy. Not everyone is so embracing of the wide range of pop and
rock stylings that a artist may feel like playing. Not everyone is so
well rounded as some of the folks on p2. No big deal, just the way it
is. Interesting to note Joe Henry is also going thru this stage.

I don't care what he puts out, I don't think he's betraying anything by
changing sounds, I just get tired of him and the "purists" whoever and
where ever they are-talking about it.